Birds Solicitors is seeking to recruit a paralegal, solicitor or barrister to expand our prison law department with immediate effect. We are reasonably flexible as to the terms of employment whether conventionally employed or operating as a self-employed consultant on a full or part time basis, although full time is preferred.
The role will include working under our prison law supervisor and undertaking the following work:
- Representing clients before the Independent Adjudicator on a regular basis:
- Representing clients before one, two and three member Parole Board panels, including lifer, IPP and recall inmates;
- Taking detailed instructions and drafting written representations to Parole Board in respect of lifers, IPP prisoners and those recalled to prison;
- Liaising with probation and the prison service at all times;
- Considering sentence calculation in such cases where funding permits and challenging with the prison service;
- Potentially undertaking privately funded prison law cases on a fixed fee basis in areas such as re-categorisation or HDC which includes taking instructions and drafting written submissions by way of appeal; and
- Undertaking judicial reviews of decision by prison authorities.
Experience in prison law and advocacy is desirable but some legal experience is essential whether it be in prison law or other areas.
The successful candidate will have to be prepared to travel for clients who are transferred out of London and have the ability to run files with relative autonomy, albeit under supervision. Good file administration is absolutely essential.
A proactive approach to generating new business and excellent client care skills is required.
Having an own client following would be an advantage but is not essential.
Please apply by sending your CV to Louisa Ferrari at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Prison Law Vacancy” by 11th September 2015.